Eudaimonia and the Power of Living in the Tension Between Opposites

“Self-mastery, maturity, and wisdom are defined by our ability to hold the tension between opposites.” ~ Louis G. Herman

What is Eudaimonia?

Eudaimonia is a Greek word that is, etymologically, made up of two words: “eu” (good) and “daimōn” (spirit or genius). But it is much more powerful than that.

The most accurate translation is “human flourishing,” as it encapsulates the highest human good and subsumes the concept arête (virtue and excellence), and is likened to an ancient understanding of self-actualization.

Plato defined it as, “The good composed of all goods; an ability which suffices for living well; perfection in respect of virtue; resources sufficient for a living creature.”

In this article we will analyze how living in the tension between opposites might be the most effective method to give rise to this most elusive type of human flourishing.

The Student-Teacher Dynamic

Plato-Aristotle-by-Raphael“We build too many walls and not enough bridges.” ~ Isaac Newton

We are all teachers just as we are all students. Life is what we teach and life is what we learn. The student creates the teacher by realizing a question and seeking out guidance. The teacher creates the student by providing a sacred space to question while revealing higher states of questioning. The best students ask the most progressive questions.

The best teachers package the most progressive questions into something that can be interrogated by both teacher and student, revealing how the art of trial and error (fallibilism) can lead to awestruck passion and the need for more knowledge.

As far as eudaimonia is concerned, the height of human flourishing is to learn to live in the tension between student and teacher, to move from beginner’s mind to master’s mind and back again. It’s a dance of knowledge between your innocence and your wisdom, back and forth.

One informs while the other humbles. One enlightens while the other reconditions. Pulled between what we know and what we don’t know, and precariously walking that tight-rope with awe-inspired passion, we almost guarantee a profound human flourishing.

bivalent-model

The Apollonian-Dionysian Dynamic

“We should split the sack of this culture and stick our heads out.” ~ Rumi

The Apollonian and Dionysian is a philosophical/archetypal dichotomy, based on Greek mythology. The Apollonian is the wish to create order. It is principled and plastic, revelling in the visual arts: beauty and clarity. It seeks to form boundaries and individuality, celebrating appearances and illusions, self-control, perfection, and creation.

The Dionysian, on the other hand, is the wish for chaos and intoxication. It celebrates nature, the instinctual, and the intuitive. It embraces the wholeness of existence, from orgiastic passion to the dissolution of all boundaries. It seeks excess through free creative expression, while glorifying the art of creating from destruction.

It can be argued that the height of human flourishing is to somehow harness the power of this dynamic dichotomy, to have the ability to create both from order and from chaos, to intermittently honor and stretch all boundaries.

What would such a person be called besides enlightened, individuated, and self-actualized? Daemonic shaman shining dark into light and light into dark? Harmonious up-heaver with a black halo? Lawless peacekeeper with a white shadow? Reasoning intuitive with a squared circle? One who stretches comfort zones into holistic horizons and back again?

Oh the endless progression of human flourishing that awaits those of us who can withstand the tension between these dynamic opposites.

The Senex-Puer Dynamic

“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: You haven’t.” ~ Thomas Edison

EudaimoniaLogo“Senex” and “puer” are two Jungian archetypes derived from the collective unconscious. Senex is the Latin word for “old person.” Puer is the Latin word for “child.” The senex archetype fosters sobriety, and is realistic and grounded.

When we connect with our inner senex we are mature, patient, and accepting of limits. But without the puer to balance us out, we can become rigid and stuck in our ways, unable to think outside the box or stretch our comfort zones.

The puer archetype, on the other hand, is youthful and enthusiastic about life. When we connect with our inner puer we are imaginative and curious about the world. We are creative and spontaneous and open to the novelty of the universe.

But without the senex to balance us out, we can become imprudent and impulsive, unable to set limits and we can become irresponsible with our power.

In regards to eudaimonia, the senex is the shadow of puer, and puer is the shadow of senex. The more we are able to embrace our shadow, whether we are more senex-like or puer-like, the more we foster our growth into greater consciousness.

The more likely we are to tap into our unique genius and discover our own personal flourishing. The puer softens the senex, while the senex rounds out the puer. The result is nothing short of human genius.

Like Henry Miller said, “The task of genius is to keep the miracle alive, to live always in the miracle, to make the miracle more and more miraculous, to swear allegiance to nothing, but live only miraculously, think only miraculously, die miraculously.”

And there is nothing more miraculous than the ability to hold the tension between opposites and to flourish while doing so.

James Hillman speaks about the Senex & Puer Archetypes

Image source:

Edaimonia
Plato & Aristotle
Dionysian-Apollonia
Boy & elephant

Newsletter Signup

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get the latest updates straight in your inbox!

Please share, it really helps! :) <3

3 COMMENTS

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

3 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Latest for Members

You May Like

Does the Mind Hinder Our Connection with the Spirit?

This morning I had a profound moment of bliss, one that I was longing to experience for the past few months. I sat, caressed...

Quantum Buddha, Fractal Christ

"Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else."...

6 Insights into Working with Sacred Plants

Likely you’ve heard about ayahuasca and other plant medicines, such as magic mushrooms, iboga, peyote and san pedro. Often known as ‘entheogens’, these plants...

Enlighten, Expand, Enjoy: Bringing Centeredness & Sanity at Festivals

Welcome to festival season! The summer is a magical time, with warm weather, long days, and a sense of ease in the air. This...

Three Tough Questions to Challenge your Spirit

"We have two lives, and the second one begins when we realize we only have one." ~ Confucius Life is short. Each moment is precious....

Powerful Prayer: How to Make Smoking a Spiritual Practice

About one in four deaths from cancer occur from lung cancer, which often manifests as a result of smoking cigarettes. According to the Center...

For Members

7 Ways to Heal the Crown Chakra

“The crown chakra is located several inches above the head, but it is not connected. The crown chakra, also known as the thousand-petal lotus...

5 Essentials Every Parent Should Know about Parenting

“Our highest endeavor must be to develop free human beings who are able of themselves to impart purpose and direction to their lives. The...

7 Traps we can Fall Into as we Accept we’re the Light

“You either walk inside your story and own it or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness.” ~ Brene Brown I used...

Going Supernatural ~ Unlocking your True Human Potential ~ Part 1

Here's the thing, most of us are so caught up with the day-to-day routine that we hardly make time for ourselves. One of the...

Accepting the Complex Father-Son Relationship

“Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice.”~ Charles F. Kettering One of the toughest relationships...

Spider Medicine: The Magic Elixir of Storytelling

“The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of...

Accepting Mother: 3 Practices we Should ALL Undertake

“In a child's eyes, a mother is a goddess. She can be glorious or terrible, benevolent or filled with wrath, but she commands love...

The Divine Simplicity, When Less is More

“Manifest plainness,Embrace simplicity,Reduce selfishness,Have few desires.”~ Lao Tzu I crave for human experiences in daily life, places I visit and people I encounter. "How's the...

7 Methods to Enrich Your Meditative Practice

"One thing: you have to walk, and create the way by your walking; you will not find a ready-made path. It is not so...

A Simple Guide to Explore Your Past Lives

All the records of your past lives are contained within your own mind, just as the records of your ancestors are contained within your...

Going Supernatural ~ Unlocking your True Human Potential ~ Part 2

In Part 1 of Going Supernatural we saw that our capabilities are limited by our beliefs and that we can unlock far more than...

4 Calming Nature Rituals to Keep you Centered in Chaos

Nature heals. It heals your soul, rejuvenates your spirit and calms your mind. The pandemic has taken a huge toll on everyone and during...