There is a resurgence of age-old concepts to keep up with the deteriorating ever-changing environment – from using natural remedies, alternative healing to yoga/meditation or even a simple act of walking barefoot on earth, known as ‘Grounding/ Earthing’.
What is Earthing?
Throughout time humans and even plants, animals, have always been in closer contact with the Earth, but unfortunately, the modern lifestyle has disconnected us from the Earth’s energy, making us more vulnerable to stress and illness.
Remember your childhood days when walking barefoot in the garden was refreshing and didn’t you love the feeling of tender grass/green blades caressing your skin. Now there is a scientific reason to why the contact with Mother Earth makes you feel good and how we desperately need it in present times.
We live in an environment where we are exposed to an ever-growing amount of electromagnetic fields (EMF), this increases the amount of free radicals being produced in our bodies. Free radicals are positively charged molecules which lead to inflammation.
Direct contact with earth instantly transfers natural electrical energy to the body, as the earth is a limitless source of negative-charged free electrons. (Our heart, brain, nervous system, muscles and immune system are all essentially electrical subsystems operating within a ‘bioelectrical’ body.)
When you are in direct contact with the ground (walking, sitting, or laying down on the earth’s surface), the flow of energy from the earth (free electrons) neutralises the impact of free radicals in our body. This induces favorable physiological changes that promote optimum health.
Traditionally shoes were made of leather, which actually conducts electrons and therefore maintains a conductive contact between the Earth and your feet. However modern day rubber and plastics are electrical insulators and therefore block the beneficial flow of electrons from the Earth to your body.
Earthing can be done by walking barefoot and/or sitting outside on the lawn, dirt, or sand. Earthing should be done for at least 60 minutes every day and for optimal benefits as much as you can in a day!
The reasons why we need to walk barefoot and tap into the primal energy of the Earth –
- Inflammation has been linked to nearly every degenerative disease you can think of — cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, glaucoma, autoimmune disorders, cancer and many more. Earthing reduces chronic inflammation and related chronic pain.
- Earthing neutralizes the free radicals in our bodies, significantly reducing oxidative stress and readily recovers us from injuries, trauma and exhaustion.
- Earthing recommended for anyone with an auto-immune condition
- Grounding affects your DNA immediately
- When you ground to the electron-enriched earth, an improved balance of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system occurs.
- Enhances circulation, leading to more energy
- The Earth is the natural antidote for electron deficiency to achieve a healthy balance.
- Improved sleep
- Reduces hormonal and menstrual symptoms
Dr. James Oschman, Ph.D. biophysicist and pioneer Earthing researcher, says, “The moment your foot touches the Earth…, your physiology changes. An immediate normalization begins. and an anti-inflammatory switch is turned on. People stay inflamed because they never connect to the Earth, the source of free electrons, which can neutralize the free radicals in the body that cause disease and cellular destruction.”
These are a couple of informative videos on the benefits of Grounding and why everyone needs to reconnect with Earth’s energy. The first one below shows Clint Ober, who discovered the benefits of Earthing, explaining more about it –
A video on the benefits of Grounding / Earthing
Isn’t it time for you to kick your shoes off and dirty your feet? What do you think?
For more studies/research on Earthing –